Sep 19, 2014

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Description
A somber tale of consuming passions and vengeance played out against the lonely moors of northern England, the book proved to be one of the most enduring classics of English literature.
The turbulent and tempestuous love story of Cathy and Heathcliff spans two generations — from the time Heathcliff, a strange, coarse young boy, is brought to live on the Earnshaws' windswept estate, through Cathy's marriage to Edgar Linton and Heathcliff's plans for revenge, to Cathy's death years later and the eventual union of the surviving Earnshaw and Linton heirs.
A masterpiece of imaginative fiction, Wuthering Heights (the author's only novel) remains as poignant and compelling today as it was when first published in 1847.

Opinion
I originally read this book in high school for a class, but you know how hard it is to remember anything about a book that you are forced to read? When I first read it for content and not quality I didn't like it at all. It was boring and I eventually spark noted almost the entire thing. Yes, me, the soon to be lit major spark noted a book. People get desperate! Try to read Huckleberry Finn and you'll find out what I mean..ugh terrible book. However, I was disappointed to find out, upon the second reading, that I only liked it a little teensy bit more than I did the last time. I was more drawn into the romance, and I cried like a baby when Cathrine was dying and Heathcliff was telling her she was murdering him with her death, but the rest of the novel was...uneventful. I guess I'm a sucker for adventure and this book was lacking in that. I didn't like that it was all just a story being told to Mr. Lockwood I think it made the story itself drag a little. To be honest though I think the story should have ended after Cathrine died because after that the book was just slow. It was OK to learn what became of Cathrine's daughter but I feel like that could have just been an add on in an Epilogue instead of an entire half of the book. I do not think I'll be reading it again. Though I've heard a lot of good things from it, it wasn't my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment