Feb 5, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolken

Description

Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.

Opinion

I originally read this book because I saw the movie. The movie was pretty awesome but I hadn't read the book because I didn't like the Lord of the Rings movies. I thought the hobbit (the book) was OK, but it wasn't great enough to read the rest of the series. It was close, don't get me wrong, but I'm more of a Harry Potter girl more than a Lord of the Rings girl. I liked Bilbo as a character though. He is a lot less of a baby then Frodo I think. Bilbo doesn't die a lot like Frodo does. I mean, he is constantly talking about wanting to go to back to his warm fireplace at home and feel the grass under his feet, but who doesn't? Who doesn't want to be home when things aren't going so well where you're at. I also think the dwarves are really kind of self centered. Bilbo saves their lives a couple times and their not really thankful for that until a while afterwards. Like, there's this time where Bilbo breaks them out of an imprisonment (not going to say how they got there) and the only way he does that is by hiding them away in empty barrels that are thrown into a river and then collected by people who live down the river a ways from where they were imprisoned; and all the dwarves can do is grumble about how their barrels were uncomfortable. This really made me made because Bilbo got out by hanging on to the barrels from the outside and was soaked from steering them around everywhere because he couldn't hide himself inside a barrel. Not only that but Bilbo got sick because of that, and still all they could do was grumble until THEY got warm. MEAN! lol Ok, so I think the author is really good at making you connect to the characters....obviously. But again, it wasn't one of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment