Aug 16, 2012

Beowulf by Seamus Heaney


Description

The national bestseller and winner of the Whitbread Award. Composed toward the end of the first millennium, Beowulf is the classic Northern epic of a hero’s triumphs as a young warrior and his fated death as a defender of his people. The poem is about encountering the monstrous, defeating it, and then having to live on, physically and psychically exposed in the exhausted aftermath. It is not hard to draw parallels in this story to the historical curve of consciousness in the twentieth century, but the poem also transcends such considerations, telling us psychological and spiritual truths that are permanent and liberating.

Opinion

Ok so would I be lying if I said I didn't want to read this book at first? Yes I would be. Would I be lying if I said I loved this book? Yes actually I would be. I like it, but I wouldn't say that I loved it. Finding symbolism in this book I have to say was a lot easier after the last book I read. It was a fast read. I liked that this book was about war and battle and that it was written in a poem. It adds a little bit of niceness to the book/poem. I liked the storys of Grendel and his mother because I like to read about deamons so that was cool. I liked to read about the dragon because I like fantasy books too. I didn't really care for this book because it didn't hold my attention for that long. I have trouble reading poems. and a poem that's a hundred and somthing pages long is pretty difficult to read in my opinion. It was good don't get me wrong, but would I read it again of my own free will?....No probably not!

No comments:

Post a Comment